Wednesday 2 October 2013

Mama's Got A Brand New Bag...

Or at least she would have if life would not stop jackin up my shopping trip adventure plans...

I get the feeling God is trying to tell me something.....

3 times I've tried, and 3 times I've failed.

Attempt #1 - Politeness kills. Out with everybody else, didn't wanna kill the vibe so instead of spending all my money in every shop and buying myself a new season wardrobe that would only be of use for a month because of winter  I didn't follow my dreams, but instead opted out and followed the crowd to get some munch (quelle surprise [see, my français is improving daily...but if that's grammatically incorrect have me assassinated because that is just sad....]).

Attempt #2 - Countryside also kills. See the post before this..

Attempt #3 - I didn't press play, my adventure got taped over. Instead of setting of bright and early in search of my ethnic friendly haven (Grace Ottawa) full of hair products, Xpressions, plantain, cocoa butter, coconut oil, threading and who knows what else (notice the joys of multi-culturality London has taught me to appreciate) we didn't leave the house until 13:30....lets just not. And by the time we trekked all the way to Ottawa we only had time to have our meet up date with two lovely Canadian girls (one who had been an FLA in Ireland last year + friend). Not gonna lie, for a good long, long, looooong while (basically most of the journey there) I was crying (alright fuming) on the inside that I would once again not be cocooned in the warm embrace of F21 and Sephora, my arms weighted down with bags full of 'only found in North America' goodies. BUT. I got to practice my French, a lot. Something I haven't actually done a lot of (for those of you that don't know, as far as I'm concerned, the first month of any year abroad placement is a write-off)...and I was understood [YASS!]. Added bonus - we now have two Canadian friends, our age, to practice speaking with and have been invited round for poutine.

So. To close. I'm currently retail therapy deficient but my acquaintance/friendship stats are up.


#SideNote - I cannot get over the Canadian  'left cheek first' double kissing thing...kissing is awkward enough but Spain and Cuba helped me learn to get over my British possum-like defensive frigidness in that area, but the panic about 'who goes left first' is just annoying!

Flip sake Québec. Flip. Sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment